Monday, June 4, 2007

sadness prevails



OK so it's coming down to the wire on this one. Team Vachina has basically been weeping an endless stream of tears because our vacation to our homeland is winding down to zero. Tomorrow I'm going to England, to go on tour with my friend's band The Flesh.

So I will give you a recap of things from my POV... so much has happened since my last post that this post is now officially in the "epic" status:

SHANGHAI


After Roller Rink Revival, the next night we got wasted and played expat bowling. The rules are: if you bowl a strike, you can tell someone to take a shot of Bai Jiu, which is a liquor that costs $1.13 US per bottle and tastes like castor oil. If you get a gutter ball, you must yourself take a shot. We got Adrian wasted out of his mindgrapes and by the end of the night he was drinking a coke with a rat in it.



We also ate crayfish, which for Cynth and me was like 1 mindblock away from us throwing up... My mental strategy was essentially: "look at someone else in the eyes while your hands rip open a crayfish. talk to them about literally anything. never let there be a moment where no one is talking, because that will make your brain go back to the fact that you're eating a giant twitching cockroach of the sea that was probably bred in an underground indoor pool. take a swig of sprite." Afterwards to congratulate ourselves, Adrian and I bought bootleg music DVDs (Yanni live for him, karaoke versions of ABBA videos for me).

Our last night there, we went to go see Adrian DJ, and he destroyed the place when he played the best dance song ever recorded:



Then we tried to go to Karaoke afterwards, but with no locals to guide us, we sat there like drunk monkeys trying to make the machine work. In the end, we sang "Tainted Love" twice, "I Had the Time of My Life," and 50 Cent's "Disco Inferno" about 12 times.

THAILAND


Let's just say that Thailand is not my favorite place on the planet. Everywhere we went there were horrible 40 year old white dudes with teenage Thai chicks hanging on their arms. Dude, I thought I got indignant whenever I see white dudes with Asian chicks? Thai guys must be fuming volcanoes on the insides: every single Thai female has a creepy middle aged white guy paying their bills, grabbing their asses, motorcycling them around, etc etc.



Also, I got the runs, got 46% of my blood sucked out by vampiric mosquitos, splintered my toe open against a rock, got sunburn, and basically complained the whole time about how crappy it was to stay in a bungalow on a beach in a tropical fairyland.

We also went scuba diving. I can't really complain about that. Look at how ridonkulous!



If you still somehow doubt how pristinely virginal this place is, simply observe:



This is at Koh Samui, a small island that is swarming with Australian backpackers... it's basically Fire Island. Or, Vegas: everything that you can possibly spend $$ on, they charge you for:



That's a sign charging you about 30 cents (toilet paper is more) to pay for the privilege of going to the public bathroom.

SHOPPING! We went to Chatachuk (sp?), an epic outdoor flea market where they sell everything under the sun. I consider myself a voracious shopper, and this place was truly olympian. It's under a tin roof, so already you're baking to death, and everything is so dense that you literally can't breathe, plus whatever air you can breathe is 70% fried foods baking 5 feet away. There were several points at which I was certain I would vomit/pass out. But my brain was like "where else are you going to get vintage Vietnam shirts/shirts with stupid hipster logos and phrases on them for so cheap?? Where??!!" and I stayed the course. In the end I got a purple shirt that prominently features kittens playing with a ball of yarn, and of course an oversized pair of pajama pants that say MARIJUANA all over them in giant letters over the colors of the flag of Jamaica.

All day today we have spent basically inside a mall or our hotel. It's literally 5:49 in the morning. I'm tired and want to go to sleep but Simon is cracking a whip over my head to continue blogging/stay awake til 9 so I can sleep on my 14 hour flight to Europe.

Goodbye dear sweet Vachina!

You made Simon feel compelled to eat pig's brain on camera!

You made Cynthia sleep less than she does in New York when she's working for Irv Gotti (an average of 1.5 hrs per night)!

Your post schedule was more demanding than MTV Chi!

Your bug caused us a cumulative 14 hours of render time!

Your blog name was so great that you made a bar full of 20 year old Australian expats laugh for literally 5 minutes!

...goodbye and good morning.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

hahahah.. i can actually picture your brain going "where else are you going to get vintage Vietnam shirts/ shirts with stupid hipster logos and phrases on them for so cheap?? Where??!!" lol. i need pictures of the pj pants. please.

byebye vachina. u will be missed ;(

corinachou said...

You need to buy the special airline tickets because your traveling direction is crazy.Since you are going to England,I suggest you join the local tour,go to the Paris,Rome which are worth to go.Europe is very expensive,also be aware the chieves,especially in the Metro.Simon,you still need to fly back to Shanghai.I think that is too far away.
Are you missing the home?Anyway,this is a wonderful,unforgetable experience
for your lifetime. I am so proud of your courage.

Ctown said...

woods, you are among two of the best travel mates a boy could ever want or need or sleep with in the same bed. we miss you already.

love, team vachina -1

Ctown said...

PS. that last post was from Simon, not Ctown.

Nat Loh said...

to be continued. we want european blogs now. and contact nio. she should be in london.

GoodGoodman said...

I have probably been about the worst poster ever (count em ZERO comments), so I should at least chime in at this point that I have been THOROUGHLY entertained, read ever damn thing you guys wrote, watched every amazingly rendered video, and just generally love vachina.

My lack of comments should in no way reflect anything less.

Ctown said...

We just spent the day in a just-lost-a-severed-limb haze. We think you left a sock behind, which Simon promptly turned into a sock puppet, threw some glasses on and likes to periodically ask, "What do you think Woody?" or say, "Hey, Budddaaayyy!" Whatever helps, I say. We miss you! And Patrick, please note that we have come full circle in the commenting-on-our-own-blog.

simon said...

buddy! we are staying at the "buddy lodge" now because we miss you...and basically i wanted you to be super psyched when you get to london and you see that you have all these comments!!!!!

cynthia misses pillow fights with you..AS DO I.

Woods said...

Oh my god my flight was a nightmare. First it was delayed, then I find out my flight wasn't even booked (golden travel doesn't book 100%) then I found out that I needed to print something to show German/British immigration people that I already have an exit strategy. So I bought tickets on the spot, then spent half an hour trying to find a place that would print my confirmation email.

You know those times when you need help from the world of machines? Like, please just help me print this one piece of paper and it's an endless maze of fuck-ups and backwards ass redundant legwork? That was my afternoon. Also, I'm in Germany now. The Euro is so strong against the US $ that I won't even mention the exchange rate. I'm paying about $5 to get wifi just to leave this comment on my own blog entry.

Patrick said...

sumbitch!

this comment chain is so sad and sweet. I MISS YOU GUYS.

now i'm about to sad and sweet this mofo out of weepy town cuz i just received my t-shirt! HELL YES! it's amazing and glittery! is it too late to post a pic? FYI, this package made 770 so jealous i had to let everyone line up and kick me in the spine just to pretend to keep things even-ish.

thank you!

love,

sumner redstone.

Ctown said...

Patrick -- You can still post a pic! Simon and I have a couple more days in Bangkok...more posts coming soon...

Simon said...

woody, buuudddaaayyy! you booked thru expedia, not golden tour. haha. sah gua. wait 'til you see "our" pictures. Let's just say pringles, a golden cat, and boxing gloves do mix, my friend.

Fan of Bangkok Hotels said...

I got into your blog when researching for what people thinking about Thailand. If you have bangkok trip, it's very interesting for me. Thanks for your post....