Wednesday, May 16, 2007

chengdu...more like cheng-don't

The title implies that you shouldn't visit Chengdu. But I assure you
that's not the case. I am just bitter about Chengdu right now because as
I was taking a picture of a dude getting his hair cut on the sidewalk, he cursed at me and instructed me, Mr. T style, not to take pictures of him and if I continued to do so, he would pick me up and throw me in the river. I stopped.

Anyway, our first night we stopped at the Sheraton in Chengdu, and I
proceeded to be laughed out the door when I offered them $520 for a room
they wanted $1100 for. i asked Woody if he could go and try and he
said...

"I...I...I c-c-can't."

So as we hightailed it out of there, the manager (Jay Li) came running out
to us and offered us $800 a night. I scoffed at his "little too late"
offer, laughed wildly in his face, looked him straight in the eye, and told him...

"We'll take it!"

Money well spent, in my opinion, because we later [TEASER ALERT] shot their gorgeous lobby in our next installment of our music video series.


Cut to next day, I'm a skeleton again, because Woody and Cynthia want to
get external hard drives (im pian) for all the content that we are producing. Yo, try bargaining and haggling for electronics in Chengdu and you'll know what hell on earth is. I played the hard drive pimp/gimp/god, and pitted Woody's price against Cynthia's price, even offending a lady by telling her "not to take advantage of us." In the end, team vachina got ultra cuteZ0R 120 GB hard drives for ultra low prices (said as the salespeople laugh themselves silly all the way to the
bank.)



Now we are at the traffic hotel, and you guessed it, the only reason we are here is because across the alley is this place...




We've been gone 10 days now. Feels like hardly nothing and an eternity all at once. The only thing that I know at this juncture is that I love being amongst people that look like me. Will that change? Only time will tell. Thanks for reading. Until next time...

1 comment:

corinachou said...

You guys are good negotiator.I think you need to continue to stay in a good,convenient,and comfortable hotel,then you can get better rest and help you work even better.It is worth to do,you still can cut 1/2 price.I will send e- mail to Simon to mension some secrets.Do you like to know?You ask Simon later.