Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I left my heart in Guilin

After hopping through customs with my sprained ankle and then arriving into the 1980's Alphabet City of Guilin, I became scared that my limping would attract predators like the laws of nature seen repeatedly in "Planet Earth." Here is what the neighborhood looked like, except imagine people holding meat cleavers.



We were too scared that shooting broll of the neighborhood = a meat cleaver to the face.

The first night I stayed up editing the music video, only taking "render naps" and wonder-lusting after my past, more agile self. The next day was the epic boat tour, and I was delirious. On the van ride home, I woke up disoriented and ended up yelling over the heads of 5 German tourists to Woody, "What's going on?!"



They have an underground "Little Hong Kong" labyrinth-like shopping mall where all the prices are like H&M / F21. Whilst shopping, we realized that Woody and I had opposite problems. I am too big for Guilin and Woody is too small. Here is a pic of me in standard issue Girl slippers from a hotel we went to check out.



The fashion here is pretty progressive. There are a lot of cute kids here, and the guys have Japanese anime haircuts.



Moped culture is pretty huge here as well. They even invented a poncho for half-man, half-moped.



We went out the past couple nights, which meant going to neon-lit clubs. However, their dance floors are limited to 7 people. Instead, people keep to themselves at their own tables, head bob and play local games whilst surrounding themselves with Avril Lavigne.



We had a late night flight to Chengdu, which we were running late for, but still decided to drop everything for:



I wear mine now when I have a bad face day...



Bye Guilin! (fade out Enigma's "Age of Innocence" which should be played over this blog entry)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

hahahahhha... the music is pretty bad at the clubs. wuts up with avril lavigne??? and the dice thing.. it just doesnt look fun. although the cop/robber/damsel one cracks me up.

mam said...

omg best vachina post ever! between the club games and the bad face day. i want a cynthia shirt plz.

Patrick said...

i'll take a pair of the jelly girl slippers.

Unknown said...

Airbrushed shirt with your face on it - probably cheap

Woody stressing out and muttering "we're going to miss our flight!" continually - priceless

You two have to get Woody some brass balls in a night market, so he can finally start haggling on his own like a big boy.

More music videos!

bittermelon said...

THIS IS HILARIOUS.

cynth, you are a clever, clever girl.
so flippin' funny and well-written.

and is somebody rockin' a GnR tee?

sweet.

Unknown said...

No wonder you could not produce an itinerary despite my repeated requests. You just don't have one. That's the way to travel, girl. See and do as much as you can in one place. Enjoy.

Unknown said...

I love your viewpoint and videos. These must take forever to edit. I hope you are not missing out on fun just to keep us muckety mucks informed...not that I want you to stop or anything.

Louise

Anonymous said...

you must shot a lot of photos in guilin, why not post them here.share it with us .